Sunday, September 5, 2010

Day 05: I'm moving on...left!

Nothing really happened today. The "Girl Next Door" left and I asked our host whether I could get her room, for it is bigger than mind and, well, cleaner and offers more comfort. What can I say - I live in the "Salon Blue" now! ;)



I had to do some organising, so I hardly left the house today  - except for finding something to eat...
I still don't quite know how people in LDN actually cook or bake properly, supermarkets only seem to hold the most essential groceries - along with a LOTTA JUNKFOOD and "convenience products", which is a pathetic euphemism for commercially prepared food - fucking Fertigprodukte.

Not that I really had the intention to cook (kinda don't want to use that kitchen... ugh).

Speaking about supermarkets... actual chains are rather hard to find in this area, but there are quite a few privately ran grocery shops/ kiosk hybrids around here - that offer even less.

So, were should I get some take away? The chinese mafia seemed to have decided that all of their restaurants need to be claused on sunday, so none of that for me today.

How to tell which restaurant is good? By the amount of people eating there. But what if there really aren't a lot of people in any of them? hmm I settled on the Kebap Restaurant that had a chubby, smoking, chavy kind of lady sitting outside and two people sitting on the inside. One turned out to be the cook - 'nuf said.

Curious-me settled on a "Doner Kebap". Not too good Idea. It is - well, different than their originals.

This is what happens when you take Turkish kind of food invented in Germany abroad: Some thing with dry bread and stripes of mystery meat and some chili sauce. Meat tasted really weird (dry as well, highly minced, no real pieces. Vegetables were okay, sauce hot. Only ate 1/3.

I'm actually a bit afraid of tomorrow, my first day of my internship. How are the people going to be? Will I be dressed right? Well I get everything? Can I handle the duties? Will the strike on the tube affect me? I will see.

5 comments:

  1. No chinese food on sundays? What? Are we talkin' 'bout the same country? And for the kebap: we also made this "experience". It ended in a kind of a vomit party. We also had similar problems in NYC and greek food. Logically we invented a rule of life for this:

    If [staying in england]
    Then
    Do not eat Doner Kebap
    Else
    If [staying in the USA] AND [staying in New York City] And [being between Chinatown and Little Italy] AND [it's early in the morning]
    Then
    Do not eat Greek Gyros
    Endif
    Endif

    BTW, one question: what are you doing in Orwell-Country? Holidays? Studying? Working? Maybe for a surveillance company? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I actually felt a little sick after two or three stripes of that jerky kinda thing, but no puking...

    Oh, I'm doing an internship at touchlocal.com (some of the companies' profiles - I put them on) until the December 6th.

    Come and visit me, if you want to. ;)

    anything I could bring with me or send in a kind of care package? :B

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh-oh, an intern. Thank god there's a Queen in England and not a president...:)

    Visiting? Not the next month, we're planning some holidays in a warmer place. A place where there are more english people than in London...
    And for getting care-boxes I need your address. I also need to know what kind of caring you need. Beer? Hah hah hah hah hah!

    ReplyDelete
  4. no no, you got that wrong! I was offering to send YOU something, or your pumpkin queen :) (greetings, btw). du kannst nat[rlich auch auf deutsch schreiben. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh,this was an error of the form "Die Hand ist schneller als Auge und Hirn zusammen"...
    I can auch write in mix Modus, this is überhaupt no Problem für me. Ansonsten, Withbringsel... Hm. I'll ask Cymie bout it. The only questions we have: what's the price situation right now? As long as we've been travelling to England, even during Euro times, it always was too expensive. But: as the Euro was almost even with the pound Cymie used british online shops for clothing stuff... But I guess London might be expensive anyway...

    ReplyDelete